Our Coalition Members
Spanning the nation, KAW coalition members work in an array of issue areas. We partner to ensure public health and wellbeing by saving the future effectiveness of antibiotics.
How to become a member
All of KAW's coalition members believe in the same set of guiding principles:
1. We support efforts to curb the growing public health threat from the spread of antibiotic resistant superbugs by reducing the overuse and misuse of antibiotics in both agriculture and human medicine.
2. We support a ban on the use in farm animals of medically important antibiotics for purposes other than treating sick animals. An antibiotic is medically important if it is used in human medicine or is closely related to human drugs.
3. We support efforts to promote sustainable agricultural production methods that provide alternatives to the use of antibiotics in healthy farm animals.
4. We urge companies involved in the production and marketing of meat, poultry and fish (livestock producers, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.) to voluntarily agree to stop using, buying, or selling products produced with using antibiotics other than for the purpose of treating sick animals.
5. We support the creation of a nationwide system to collect objective, verifiable data on the production and use of antibiotics in both human medicine and animal agriculture, and to make that information available to the public.
6. We affirm the importance of ongoing collection of data at the state and federal levels on antibiotic residues and antibiotic resistance, including antibiotics and antibiotic-resistant bacteria both on food and in surface and ground waters.